Dog Control Officer

Northern Hamlet Master Plan Public Meeting - Skaneateles Falls American Legion June 13th at 6:00 p.m. Hamlet Plan

Dog Control Officer

Dog Control is a part time department. We make every effort to respond to calls as soon as we can. If you have an emergency call 911.

Dog Control Officer

Dave Wawro
Telephone 315-685-3473 Monday-Friday 8 am to 4:00 pm
After normal business hours 315-575-3563

Primary duties are:

  • Dog control including enforcement of state dog law and town dog animal law.
  • Seizing stray dogs


Do you pick up cats?

Yes, if there is a stray cat or an injured cat in your area contact us and we will be able to address the matter. The cat may be trapped or seized. Injured cats will be taken to a veterinarian.

What happens to my dog after its picked up?

If the dog appears healthy it will be taken to the Fingerlakes SPCA at 41 York St. Auburn.

What if it is injured?

It will be taken to a veterinarian.

What do I have to do to get it back?

You need to show proof that the dog is licensed. You will need to pay the seizure fee, and boarding fees to the SPCA.

I live in the village and have a complaint about my neighbor´s dog barking or running loose whom do I call?

The village police enforce the village animal law.

Is there a leash law in the town?

No. Except for the Charlie Major Nature Trail in Mottville. The village does have a dog law that prevents dogs from running loose in the village.

Do you investigate animal cruelty?

No. Animal cruelty is a crime and it must be investigated by the police or the SPCA.

Can you handle any wild animal?

No. I am not licensed by the state DEC as Nuisance wildlife Control Operator. I can not handle animals such as skunks, woodchucks, raccoons, and opossums. I am prohibited from handling any Federally protected migratory birds, any endangered or threatened species, bears, beavers, deer, bobcat, and many others.

If you have any other question please contact us.