Michael Maxwell, Assessor
Kim Benda, Clerk
The Assessor’s Office would like to remind our residents of the upcoming Exemption Application and Renewal deadline. Renewal forms for local exemptions will be mailed to residents by the end of November 2021.
March 1, 2022, will be the last day we can accept the following Exemption Application or Renewal forms. Below you will find a list of the forms accepted here in the Assessor's Office.
Town of Skaneateles Assessor Michael Maxwell
*Please submit any Address Change forms to the Assessor
IMPORTANT 2019 CHANGES TO EXEMPTIONS FOR PROPERTY OWNERS 65 AND OVER....CLICK LINK BELOW:
- Alternative Veterans - RP 458-A 2 page Application for Alternative Veterans Exemption from Real Property Service.
- Senior Citizen Exemption / Renewal - RP 467 & RP 467-RNW Applications for Partial Tax Exemption of Senior Citizens, includes Enhanced STAR. This is a local exemption different from the State's STAR program with income limitations.
- Disabled Persons with limited income - RP 459-C 2 pages Application for Partial Tax Exemption of the Real Property of persons with disabilities and limited income.
- Clergy Exemption - RP 460 Application for Partial Tax Exemption for Real Property of members of Clergy.
- Agricultural Exemptions - RP 305 9 page Application for agricultural land exemption. RP483 2 page Application for agricultural and horticultural building and structures.
- Commercial, Business or Industrial Exemptions - RP 485-B 2 page Application for Tax Exemption for Commercial, Business or Industrial Real Property. RP 412-A 2 page Application for Industrial Development Agencies.
- Non-Profit Organization - Application for Real Property Tax Exemption for non-profit Organization. Check with Assessor’s office for correct form.
- Volunteer Firefighters/Ambulance Workers - RP466g 2 page Application for Volunteer Firefighters/Volunteer Ambulance Workers Exemption (For Use in Onondaga County Only), cannot be used in conjunction with an income tax exemption.
- Income Verification Program - RP 425-IVP 1 page option for Enhanced STAR.
- New STAR applicants (Basic and Enhanced) need to register with the New York State Tax Department to receive a STAR Credit check. Visit www.tax.ny.gov or call (518) 457-2036.
Tentative Roll Date - May 1st is the date in which the Assessor has completed the tax roll for that given year. Review your assessment to ascertain if it is a FAIR MARKET VALUE of your property. If you do not agree with the value placed on your property by the Assessor, you may make an appointment to have an informal review of your assessment with the assessor prior to Grievance Day. If you are dissatisfied with the results of your informal review, you may file a formal complaint on or before Grievance Day. Form RP-524 (3/09) is available in the Assessor's Office and online at https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/orpts/rp524_fill_in.pdf
As your Assessor I am dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable assessment roll each year. I welcome anyone who may have a question to call and make an appointment to meet with me so I may have the opportunity to meet you and also to hopefully answer your questions. The main purpose of the Assessor’s Office is to provide a service to our customers, who are the taxpayers of the municipality. Maintaining a fair and equitable assessment roll is a very important part of this service.
This office also administers some of the property tax exemptions and their renewals. Many of these exemptions need to be applied for each year and must be filed in this office no later than March 1st. Forms are available here in the Assessor’s Office and online at https://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/orpts/exemption.htm
- Taxable Status Date: March 1
- Valuation Date: July 1
- Tentative Roll: May 1
- Grievance Day: 4th Tuesday in May
- Last Revaluation: 2009
- Number of Parcels: Village 1241 & Town (outside Village) 3058
- Equalization Rate - 85% (Uniform level of Assessment)
- Online Fillable Grievance Form
- Contesting Your Assessment in NYS
- New York State Office of Real Property Services
- Onondaga County Office of Real Property Tax Services
- Onondaga County GIS
- Onondaga County Soil and Water Conservation District
2018 Real Property Tax Exemption Report of Examination - New York State Comptroller...click here